Northern Workwear and Safety was formally known as the Hard Yakka Workwear Centre and before that, Cushen Clothing. The business has been trading in the Thomastown area for the past 45 years and has always been regarded as a landmark store in the Northern Suburbs - the home of Hard Yakka.
After a corporate restructure by the Wesfarmers owned Workwear Group, the decision was made to sell or close the Hard Yakka stores. To ensure the Thomastown store kept its origins representing the Hard Yakka brand, and to further expand its product and service, the store was sold to Mark Rowlands, the National Retail Operations Manager for the Workwear Group.
Mark has 35 years experience in the workwear industry, starting at Marshal Safety Service then moving to Wrights Workwear where he became a partner in the business. Wrights Workwear became a part of the Yakka business in 2005 and Mark continued as the Retail Small to Medium Business Manager for Yakka, then the Workwear group until 2019 when he purchased the Hard Yakka Thomastown store.
NWS embraces innovation and the latest technology to deliver quality brands and products that are cost effective through our procurement channels and our deliver to market solutions. As a privately owned company, we can now quickly adjust to reflect changes in consumer buying habits and new product development from the leading suppliers in the workwear industry.
What HAS NOT changed besides the name?
- Experienced Staff - With extensive product knowledge
- Range - We are still the Hard Yakka store that has serviced Melbourne for the past 45 years
- Products - Great quality at competitive pricing
- Location - A large well-stocked show room with ample parking
What HAS change besides the name?
- Improved customer service and service offers
- Product range and brands will expand to offer more options to suit your needs
- Competitive pricing
- Trade Accounts available
- Onsite fittings
- Online ordering - Click and collect or direct delivery
- New email address to contact the store [email protected]